Are you suffering from sleep disorders (Insomnia)? Are you looking for Ayurvedic remedies for improving your sleep? The principles of Ayurveda state that sufficient sleep along with a proper diet, and wise utilization of energy are important for maintaining good health.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Sleep Disorder
According to Ayurveda treatment, the vitiation of the three doshas either taken together or individually may result in insomnia. All factors, that are responsible for the aggravation of Vata and pitta, along with environmental and dietary factors play an important role in sleep disturbances.
A high Vata type of insomnia is caused by Vata Imbalance or mental stress. People, who toss and turn, unable to fall asleep because their mind is spinning, have this disorder. It results in anxiety, worry, and rushed activity during the day. Whereas in pitta imbalance there is intermittent awakening.
You may fall asleep quickly but wake up frequently with palpitation, body pains, and emotional disturbances such as fear, anger, and sadness. Another pattern is that you wake up before dawn and find it difficult to go back to sleep.
Best Ayurvedic Remedy for Sleeping Disorder
There are certain health tips mentioned in Ayurveda that you should follow for improving the quality of sleep, getting rid of stress, and boosting your body’s immune system. They are as follows:
- Maintain a disciplined sleep schedule- You should be very disciplined regarding your sleep. Try to sleep early which gives you the time to sleep throughout the night. Wake up early the next morning. Your mind is stable, slow, and dull from 6 pm to 10 pm. This is a perfect time for getting good sleep.
- Mindful Eating- It is recommended for you to have your dinner early between 6.30 to 7 pm. The digestive fire starts cooling down after the sunsets. You can improve your digestion by eating light, early meals. This is beneficial for your sleep quality. While eating, you should avoid doing other activities such as reading books, watching television, or involving yourself in conversations.
- Oil massage- Oil massage therapy is a primary part of Ayurvedic treatment for a sleep disorder and stress problem. Oil massages on your feet are important for improved sleep. There are nerve endings in your feet, which are nourished because of oil massage. Massaging helps in stress relief, makes you feel relaxed, and improves your blood circulation. As a result of all these, your sleep gets drastically improved. You can choose from several herbal oils for massage.
- Pranayama- Pranayama is considered to be very important for improving sleep disorders and stress in ayurveda. Several rounds of alternate nostril breathing or “naadi shodhana pranayama” should be undertaken on a regular basis. This is effective for the mind and calms down your nervous system. You are bound to get deeper, and longer sleep of high quality.
- Practice Self Compassion- Your wellness and health depend considerably on a balance among your mind, body, and soul. It is important for you to keep away from negative vibes and always try to be present in a positive environment. You should be mindful of who you talk to right before going to sleep. Ideally, you should switch off your mobile, computer, television, and social media activities, two hours before going to sleep.
- Regular Exercise For Good Sleep- Regular exercise is very important for you to stay healthy and fit physically, which in turn helps you to maintain a healthy state of mind. This is vital for improving sleep disorders and eliminating stress. Keep away from all types of stimulants during the evening so that your sleep is not affected.
Ayurvedic Medicine for Sleep Disorder ( Insomnia)
These are some useful ayurvedic herbs for the treatment of insomnia or sleepiness problem. Ayurvedic medicines are the most natural form of treating disorders and there is an ayurvedic remedy for every kind of sleeping disorder
- Brahmi: It is a powerful brain tonic, which supports and improves all aspects of mental functioning. It is a calming and tranquilizing herb. A cup of Brahmi tea or powder or any other preparation with Brahmi, taken at bedtime, will induce a peaceful sleep and its regular use will help to cure insomnia.
- Vacha: (Acorus calamus) has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of various ailments, such as epilepsy, headache, insomnia, etc. it can be taken along with Amla, Brahmi powder at bedtime.
- Aswagandha: This is an overall tonic for greater vitality and longevity. It enhances coordination between the mind and senses which, according to Ayurveda, is essential for good sleep. The recommended dose is a half teaspoonful of powder taken at night along with sugar+ ghee or warm milk.
- Jatamansi: It has been found to increase levels of neurotransmitters like serotonin. It is a sedative, anti-depressant, and anti-epileptic cardio-tonic and is regarded as one of the most effective remedies for neurosis and helps a person in sleep disorder.
- Valerian: Ayurvedic herbs for sleeplessness in Indian valerian, also known as tagar in Hindi, works on the nerve channels by clearing out toxins from the blood, joints, tissues, colon, and nerves. Its basic role is to rejuvenate. However, valerian should not be taken on its own. For, it can have a somewhat dulling effect. It is best used as part of some herbal preparation. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.